Environmental Site Assessments
Passive Remediation Systems Inc. (PRSI) provides turnkey services for environmental site assessments across Canada. We support clients in their efforts to better understand the risk of potential environmental liability associated with property transactions, and to provide technical guidance on remediation options when environmental impacts are discovered. Our procedures follow provincial-specific regulatory standards and support pre-financing and pre-insurance assessments.
PHASE I Environmental Site Assessments
UNDERSTAND your potential risk with a PHASE I Environmental Site Assessment. PRSI has qualified personnel who are approved by regulatory agencies to conduct environmental site assessments and risk assessments. Our experts are focused on providing critical examinations of past-and-present property activities that provide a big-picture view of potential future liabilities. This information is vital for our clients, their lenders and insurers, as they move forward with their transactions.
Our Phase I ESAs include:
- A report following applicable regulatory requirements documenting the facts
- Review of Federal, Provincial, Municipal and Local records out to distances as specified by the applicable regulations
- Review municipal and/or county planning files for historic use of property and surrounding lands
- Review historic aerial photography of the vicinity
- Examine geological and topographical maps to determine land type and drainage
- On-site visit to view present conditions, hazardous substances or petroleum products usage and evidence of any likely environmental hazardous site history
- Interview with persons with knowledge regarding the property (past owners, present owners, property managers, tenants, neighbours, etc.).
Depending on our client’s requirements, Phase I ESAs can also include:
- Designated Substances Surveys (e.g. asbestos, lead paint, PCBs, mercury, etc.)
- Compliance audits of industrial processes at operating facilities
- Sewer inspections
- Limited intrusive sampling
PHASE II Environmental Site Assessments
QUANTIFY your potential risk with a PHASE II Environmental Site Assessment (ESA). We take it to the next level with a full range of field investigations used to confirm the presence or absence of potential contaminants of concern. The purpose of a Phase II ESA is to check whether the site conditions are in compliance with environmental criteria, standards, and guidelines.
Our Phase II ESAs include:
- Collection of soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment samples and vapour samples as applicable
- Laboratory chemical analysis of samples for contaminants of concern at accredited third party laboratories
- Groundwater elevation surveying and establishing groundwater flow direction and velocities;
- Field and laboratory data interpretation and a data quality assurance/quality control review
- Comparison of site-specific concentrations with regulatory criteria
- Horizontal and vertical delineation of contaminated soils, groundwater, soil vapours, sediments
- Preparation of a comprehensive factual report.
|We Understand Time is of the Essence|
|Our professional staff are aware of local conditions, we maintain strong relationships with contractors and laboratories, and we negotiate preferential rates. This translates into cost-savings and quick turn-arounds for our clients.|
|Environmental Site Assessment
|Phase I and Expedited Phase II ESA of Certain Lands of Cornwall Island, Ontario||Transport Canada|
|Phase I & II ESA of former industrial/commercial property, Brantford, Ontario||Stirling Bridge|
|Stage 2 Preliminary Site Investigation of a Former Foundry Site, Victoria, British Columbia||Dobney Foundry Inc.|
|Stage 2 Preliminary Site Investigation of a Coal Tar Contaminated Site, Rock Bay, British Columbia||Heidelberg Cement|
|Phase I and II ESAs of Small Craft Harbours, Alberta and Manitoba||Department of Fisheries and Oceans|
|Phase I ESA for Property Transfer Agreements, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Nunavut||Environment Canada|
|Environmental Site Assessments for Airport Property Transfers, British Columbia: Tofino, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, Fort Nelson, Smithers; Ontario: Timmins, North Bay, Sudbury; Labrador: Wabush, Goose Bay, Yukon: Watson Lake, Whitehorse Northwest Territories: Inuvik Alberta: Grande Prairie||Transport Canada, Public Works & Government Services Canada, or Department of National Defence|
Whether investigating a site for personal knowledge or buying a property for redevelopment, PRSI is ready to provide the technical assistance necessary for you to understand your potential risks to environmental liability. Contact us and speak with one of our consultants.
PRSI SPECIALIZES IN ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENTS. WE HELP TO IDENTIFY:
- Soil Contamination
- Chemical Spills
- Petroleum Spills
- Hazardous Waste
- Groundwater Contamination
- Air Quality Impacts