Capture and Beneficial Use of Landfill Gas and Leachate at the Salmon Arm Landfill
2010 – Present
Landfill Relcamation – Active and Deactivated Site
- Off Setting Revenue Streams
- Capture of Methane Gas
- Carbon Credits
To enhance environmental protection, produce long-term economic benefits, and provide a sustainable model for other jurisdictions with small to mid-sized landfills.
The project involved capping the completed portion of the landfill, capturing gas and upgrading it to provide natural gas heating for hundreds of homes. It is expected to reduce GHG emissions by about 10,000 tonnes of CO2 equivalent annually. The sale of carbon credits will offset the project cost over 15 years.
- By September 2011, about 260 tonnes of methane (971 passenger vehicles) had been eliminated.
- Over 10,000 carbon credits will be generated annually and sold to Pacific Carbon Trust.
- A partnership with Fortis Gas will service over 500 homes in Salmon Arm.
- A phytoremediation system has treated roughly 1.1 million litres of leachate.
Click here for more information about the Salmon Arm Landfill Project